Topic: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Replies: 75   Last Post: Dec 27, 1996 8:50 PM

Carol

Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)

J. Clarke wrote:

> Carol <carolmc@earthlin.net> wrote in article
> <32B65A4E.5BC7@earthlin.net>...

> > My concern is not so much in how "giftedness" is produced, but how you
> are
> > going to identify it.
>
> First you define "giftedness" then you look for it. Kids who learn quickly
> and easily would likely be the ones considered "gifted" while those who
> learn slowly and with much difficulty would not be "gifted".

Someone pointed out a book called "Terman's Kids" which involved a study of
"gifted" children and how they grew up. Well apparently it ends up that two
children that did not "make it" into the "gifted" program, William Shockley
and Luis Alvarez grew up to be Nobel Prize winners. Unfortunately none of
the "gifted" children grew up to become Nobel Laureates. So, is it really so
simple to "define giftedness"?

> > Who are the "special" ones?
>
> See above.

Yes, read it again.

> > Who are the ones that are
> > "damaging" the the "special" ones?

> The ones who are preventing the gifted from having an opportunity to learn
> at the highest pace of which they are capable.
> Yes, we'd better keep the gifted away from the future Nobel Prize winners,

they may pick up some bad habits...like expanding the narrowmindness of
humanity.

> > What should we do with the ones that are
> > "damaging" the "special" ones?

> Make them stop doing it of course.

Sending them to gas chambers perhaps?

> > Think about it fully before you quickly
> > retort back that the "special" ones are special and the "damaging" ones

> do
> > damage.
> >
> > Hilter and the nazis tried to define ways to identify who was superior

> and
> > who wasn't.
>
> So? I believe that a fellow named Jesse Owens clearly demonstrated that
> there was something wrong with the methodology they employed. However I
> fail to see what the Nazis have to do with the notion that students who are
> capable of learning rapidly should be taught at the highest pace they are
> capable of sustaining. In fact your bringing Nazis into the discussion
> looks to me more like an appeal to emotion.
>

> > There were studies done to "prove" that people of african
> > descent were not as intelligent as those of european descent based on

> basic
> > genetic differences.
>
> And I believe that people like George Washington Carver demonstrated pretty
> clearly the flaw in _that_ methodology. However, again, you seem to be
> appealing to emotion rather than to reason.

I think a combination of emotion and reason produces what people look to as
greatness than either components standing alone.

> > It is important to know who exactly the "special" ones
> > are....you wouldn't want to leave them behind and have them "damaged" by

> the
> > others would you?
>
> No, you wouldn't. But you seem to want to force that fate on everyone.

I do not want to force anything on anybody.

> Some people learn faster than others. Get used to it.
>
> --John

Yes, but what learning is best?

--
Please e-mail me at carolmc@earthlink.net. The above address is incomplete to
prevent junk e-mail.

"When you hold a child's hand, point to the sky and say,
"Look at the airplane up there, where do you think it's going?"
and he replies, as though to an idiot, "To the airport, of course!",
whose fault is it?"
{Found in the program for Cirque du Soliel}

Date Subject Author
12/10/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/10/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
kathyd@microserve.net
12/11/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/13/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Michael Hodges
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/14/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Stan Hollenbeck
12/14/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
J. Clarke
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Otava
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
J. Clarke
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/21/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Alberto C Moreira
12/22/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Philip Cain
12/22/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/23/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Philip Cain
12/24/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/27/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Philip Cain
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Donna Mettler
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Shyang Hwang
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/20/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
JS
12/20/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Redyarrow
12/21/96
[...]
sockeye
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Alberto C Moreira
12/10/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/11/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Paul MacFarlane
12/13/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Powell Jay
12/13/96
[...]
Reuel Nash