Topic: Inclusion research
Replies: 88   Last Post: May 12, 2010 11:40 AM

Rich Washabaugh

Re: Rubin's trolls

On 27 Feb 1997, Herman Rubin wrote:

> Let people who have learned English and not "education" teach English.
> Let people who have learned mathematics and not "education" teach mathematics.
> Let people who have learned history and not "education" teach history, etc.
>
> Let those students who want to learn have them as teachers, and let them
> progress according to their speed, instead of by age. Get the others out
> of their way. With that, it can be done for those willing and able to
> learn in an underfunded district.
>
> Keep children with their age group and it cannot be done. Keep those who
> want to learn with those who do not and it cannot be done.
> --
> This address is for information only. I do not claim that these views
> are those of the Statistics Department or of Purdue University.
> Herman Rubin, Dept. of Statistics, Purdue Univ., West Lafayette IN47907-1399
> hrubin@stat.purdue.edu Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558

Sir,
I am new to this newsreader, and have been trying to catch up on
the current discussions that are ongoing. I must say that you message was
disturbing for several reasons. First, was it your intention to imply
that my "Education" degree is of lesser value that yours? I realize that
I may have soiled slightly the Ivory Tower when I arrived there (I'm not
exactly you normal teacher; few male high school teachers that I have met
routinely wear an earring to class and sport a tatoo, or are willing to
play one-on-one with the kids after 3:00, just for fun), however it seems
that your entry into it was slightly more... abrasive. Are you aware
taht as a chemistry teacher, I was also require to take the exact same
course of study (save one class) as those student who were straight chem
majors? The same is true for my physics certification. I will grant you
that as a professional statisitcian (mathematician?) you probably have
some insights inot the real world workings of your chosen field. However,
I wonder about the extent of your teaching in mandated public education.
At Purdue, you probably have a nice view from the top of that
fabled Tower... How many of your students are from poorer backgrounds,
where often the need for learning is looked upon as negligible? How many
of your students, who may ahve a talent for mathematics, wre inspired by
some "educator" in a public school to reach beyond what they believed
possible for themselves? How many of your students came through
classrooms like mine? I like to think, and am probably flattering myself
somewhat, that I can make a difference in the rural town where I teach.
Maybe some kid who has little belief in him or herself will take my
enthusiasm and encouragement to ehart and try higher education? Many of
those students you profess have the deisre to learn found it in a
classroom which they first entered with no desire to learn or to achieve.
I do not deny that there are problems with the normal advancement
by age system. However your system would create a nice little society of
egomanaic intellectuals, bent solely on keeping themselves above the rest
of the people. This kind of intelledtual elitism I can only describe as
repugnant. It id the duty of those who are gifted to share those gifts.
If I am a gifted teacher, taht does not neceswarily mean taht I am a
gifted chemist, in fact I am not, but I have a love for the subject, and
wish to share it with others by the gift I do have as an "educator".
Likewise, a gifted chemist would not make a good teacher, but can
contribute their talent by creating methods of improving life for all.
The two talents are not necessarily mutually exclusive, and can be found
together, but it is not too often. If you possess both gifts, I
congratulate you. If you do not, the I would remind you of the French
phrase, "noblisse oblige", the nobility is obliged to the peasantry to
keep their best interests at heart in the best way they can. Although I
find the language crude, the message is the same. Perchance it is time to
look at yourself and see what talent you possess?
Charmingly,
Rich 8)
Rich Washabaugh : "If I have seen farther, it is from
Chemistry/Physics Teacher : standing on the shoulders of Giants"
Dayton Jr/Sr High : - Sir Isaac Newton
Dayton, PA : "The Force will be with you, always"
MrWashy@mail.microserve.net : - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Date Subject Author
2/1/97
Read Re: Inclusion research