Topic: California SAT-9 Testing.
Replies: 13   Last Post: May 30, 2000 9:39 PM

Arthur Lin

Re: California SAT-9 Testing.

Sarah Wethered <swethered@home.com> wrote in message
> I teach all Asian kids, and they tell me that the math curriculum in
> Columbia is a joke compared to the math curriculum in Japan, Honk Kong, or
> Taiwan. Perhaps the students from Asia do so well, because North American
> math standards are much lower than in Asia. One of our teachers who did

> his school in Taiwan said that grade 12 math in Taiwan is equivalent to
> or second year university calculus here in Canada.
> Sarah

Not true. At least to the reference to Taiwan's curriculum. I have a set
of the standard math text from there. They track students into
and humanity-social science. The advanced math are taught to
students, and finish with the informal introduction to derivatives. It
would be more like
exception than norm for students taking AP calculus in high school level.

e-mail the k12.ed.math moderator at kem-moderator@thinkspot.net
submissions: post to k12.ed.math or e-mail to k12math@sd28.bc.ca