Topic: California SAT-9 Testing.
Replies: 13   Last Post: May 30, 2000 9:39 PM

Arthur Lin

Re: California SAT-9 Testing.

Sarah Wethered <swethered@home.com> wrote in message
> I teach all Asian kids, and they tell me that the math curriculum in
British
> Columbia is a joke compared to the math curriculum in Japan, Honk Kong, or
> Taiwan. Perhaps the students from Asia do so well, because North American
> math standards are much lower than in Asia. One of our teachers who did

all
> his school in Taiwan said that grade 12 math in Taiwan is equivalent to
first
> or second year university calculus here in Canada.
>
> Sarah

Not true. At least to the reference to Taiwan's curriculum. I have a set
of the standard math text from there. They track students into
science-engineering
and humanity-social science. The advanced math are taught to
science-engineering
students, and finish with the informal introduction to derivatives. It
would be more like
exception than norm for students taking AP calculus in high school level.

e-mail the k12.ed.math moderator at kem-moderator@thinkspot.net
submissions: post to k12.ed.math or e-mail to k12math@sd28.bc.ca