Topic: College Admissions
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jul 31, 2000 11:38 PM

aeron@hotmail.com

Re: Re College admissions

In article <9uapnscob9eodgnb83l2qdlgafbj9f90m4@4ax.com>,
bh@anarres.CS.Berkeley.EDU (Brian Harvey) wrote:

>Indeed, these days many high school students take 7 or 8 AP courses in order
>to look better on college applications. I think it's a shame; the classes
>often aren't as good as real college classes, especially when they're full of
>kids who aren't really interested in the topics.

And every student in a "real college class" of Calculus I is actually
INTERESTED in Calculus? Not likely, and given that in many large schools,
Calculus I is taught to huge lecture halls of students, perhaps students are
opting for "normal" sized AP classes in high school where questions can be
answered, discussions held, and approachable teachers who can actaully know
who they are.

submissions: post to k12.ed.math or e-mail to k12math@sd28.bc.ca
private e-mail to the k12.ed.math moderator: kem-moderator@thinkspot.net