Topic: rote learning math facts
Replies: 51   Last Post: Aug 23, 2002 6:38 PM

Art Burke

Re: rote learning math facts

On Thu, 08 Aug 2002 19:14:10 GMT, chergarj@cs.com (Chergarj) wrote:

>>I'm trying to aproach this from the same idea as all musicians
>>memorize their performance music. (soloists, that is).
>>There is something to be for memorization and what it does
>>for the learning process.
>>
>>Art

>Mathematics learning is not comparable in that way to music piece learning.
>Music people have concept comprehension and should have an ability to
>coordinate their actions with other artists, at least somewhat like language.
>Language must be interactive and not based totally on memorization------quite
>similar with math.

Playing in an ensemble, oh yes, people have to be aware of each other,
play off of each other, and this is far removed from learning rote
math facts.
Being a pianist for 40 years, I've learned at least a thousand or two
pieces on my own, sometimes by rote, sometimes not. I'm not sure
where the language thing cropped in...

>A child reading a word problem and developing a solution goes beyond
>memorization when he/she converts the description to symbols and mathematical
>expressions, and then writes the symbolic steps to the solution.
>
>Still, the rote memorization is important for developing the low level skill
>which ultimately support such higher level skills such as reading,
>comprehending and solving word-described problems.
>
>G C

My only focus is on rote memorization of math facts, and having
reflexive response (in my eyes, automatic recitation while writing and
oral). Unless a child HAS to count on fingers and use carry digits, I
firmly believe that this should be dropped as soon as possible in the
early grades.

Thanks for the feedback,

Art
"A warrior for traditional methods in education"

--
submissions: post to k12.ed.math or e-mail to k12math@sd28.bc.ca
private e-mail to the k12.ed.math moderator: kem-moderator@thinkspot.net

Date Subject Author
8/1/02
Read rote learning math facts
Art Burke
8/2/02
Read Reply to "rote learning math facts"
Kim Mackey
8/4/02
Read Re: Reply to "rote learning math facts"
Dr. David J. Ritchie, Sr.
8/4/02
Read Re: Reply to "rote learning math facts
mattsmom
8/4/02
Read Re: Reply to "rote learning math facts
Kevin Killion
8/5/02
Read Re: Reply to "rote learning math facts
Brian Harvey
8/5/02
Read Re: Reply to "rote learning math facts
Chergarj
8/6/02
Read Re: Reply to "rote learning math facts
mattsmom
8/4/02
Read Re: Reply to "rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/4/02
Read Re: Reply to "rote learning math facts
Bob
8/8/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Art Burke
8/8/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Chergarj
8/8/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Art Burke
8/9/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/9/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Brian Harvey
8/10/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Mark Houghton
8/12/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/12/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/12/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Brian Harvey
8/13/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/14/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Brian Harvey
8/14/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
mattsmom
8/14/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Mark Houghton
8/15/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Rhombus
8/15/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Rhombus
8/16/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Dr. David J. Ritchie, Sr.
8/16/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
mattsmom
8/17/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Brian Harvey
8/16/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/16/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Mark Houghton
8/17/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Brian Harvey
8/18/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/18/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Mark Houghton
8/19/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/17/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Brian Harvey
8/18/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/17/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Michael Greene
8/17/02
Read Is winning timed-competitions the goal of math-education?
mattsmom
8/17/02
Read Re: Is winning timed-competitions the goal of math-education?
Nat Silver
8/18/02
Read Re: Is winning timed-competitions the goal of math-education?"
mattsmom
8/18/02
Read Re: Is winning timed-competitions the goal of math-education?"
Nat Silver
8/18/02
Read Re: Is winning timed-competitions the goal of math-education?"
Mark Houghton
8/19/02
Read Re: Is winning timed-competitions the goal of math-education?""
mattsmom
8/22/02
Read Is winning timed-competitions the goal of
Haim
8/22/02
Read Re: Is winning timed-competitions the goal of
Brian Harvey
8/23/02