Topic: rote learning math facts
Replies: 51   Last Post: Aug 23, 2002 6:38 PM

Haim

Is winning timed-competitions the goal of

Subject: Re: Is winning timed-competitions the goal of
math-education?""
Author: mattsmom <matttai@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 04:09:56 GMT

>>"What's your point?"
>My points had to do with: 1. the value of rote memorization in
>math-education;
>2. the value of competitions as a pedagogical tool.

There is absolutely nothing special or unique about mathematics in
this regard. Many people play chess but only a few enter tournaments
where competition happens at very many levels. Precisely the same
thing can be said about sports, music, even writing (both poetry and
prose).

Competition is the essence of sports, but I have never heard anyone
suggest that sports are about losing. No one questions the value of
competition as a pedagogical tool in writing, why does this question
arise in mathematics?

Haim

--
submissions: post to k12.ed.math or e-mail to k12math@sd28.bc.ca
private e-mail to the k12.ed.math moderator: kem-moderator@thinkspot.net

Date Subject Author
8/1/02
Read rote learning math facts
Art Burke
8/2/02
Read Reply to "rote learning math facts"
Kim Mackey
8/4/02
Read Re: Reply to "rote learning math facts"
Dr. David J. Ritchie, Sr.
8/4/02
Read Re: Reply to "rote learning math facts
mattsmom
8/4/02
Read Re: Reply to "rote learning math facts
Kevin Killion
8/5/02
Read Re: Reply to "rote learning math facts
Brian Harvey
8/5/02
Read Re: Reply to "rote learning math facts
Chergarj
8/6/02
Read Re: Reply to "rote learning math facts
mattsmom
8/4/02
Read Re: Reply to "rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/4/02
Read Re: Reply to "rote learning math facts
Bob
8/8/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Art Burke
8/8/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Chergarj
8/8/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Art Burke
8/9/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/9/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Brian Harvey
8/10/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Mark Houghton
8/12/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/12/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/12/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Brian Harvey
8/13/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/14/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Brian Harvey
8/14/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
mattsmom
8/14/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Mark Houghton
8/15/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Rhombus
8/15/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Rhombus
8/16/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Dr. David J. Ritchie, Sr.
8/16/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
mattsmom
8/17/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Brian Harvey
8/16/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/16/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Mark Houghton
8/17/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Brian Harvey
8/18/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/18/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Mark Houghton
8/19/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/17/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Brian Harvey
8/18/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Paul A. Tanner III
8/17/02
Read Re: rote learning math facts
Michael Greene
8/17/02
Read Is winning timed-competitions the goal of math-education?
mattsmom
8/17/02
Read Re: Is winning timed-competitions the goal of math-education?
Nat Silver
8/18/02
Read Re: Is winning timed-competitions the goal of math-education?"
mattsmom
8/18/02
Read Re: Is winning timed-competitions the goal of math-education?"
Nat Silver
8/18/02
Read Re: Is winning timed-competitions the goal of math-education?"
Mark Houghton
8/19/02
Read Re: Is winning timed-competitions the goal of math-education?""
mattsmom
8/22/02
Read Is winning timed-competitions the goal of
Haim
8/22/02
Read Re: Is winning timed-competitions the goal of
Brian Harvey
8/23/02