Topic: Need help on this interesting fact
Replies: 3   Last Post: Mar 14, 2005 10:50 PM

Michael Hamm

Re: Need help on this interesting fact

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:42:32 GMT, MB <mel@invalid.invalid> wrote, in part:
> I saw this on a t-shirt:
>
> (pi^4 + pi^5)^(1/6) = e
>
> This piqued my curiosity. I confirmed the truism on my calculator, but I
> can't seem to prove it.
>
> Can someone supply the proof or give me some hints?

Apparently it's only approximately true: see
http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/known-math/99/near_int
(near the top; use your Web browser to search in the page for the string
'pi^' (no quotes)).

Michael Hamm Since mid-September of 2003,
BA scl Math, PBK, NYU I've been erasing too much UBE.
msh210@math.wustl.edu Of a reply, then, if you have been cheated,
http://math.wustl.edu/~msh210/ Likely your mail's by mistake been deleted.