Replies: 4   Last Post: Feb 11, 1999 7:10 AM

Barron, Alfred [PRI]

Re: [HM] hypatia

I first learned of Hypathia in junior high school, possibly one of
the fortunes of having an algebra teacher who knew something about
the history of his subject. I recall that the story of her murder
was related to the ignorance of the crowd. No mention of religion
was made; an understandable omission for a 7th grade teacher.

Of course some myth has undoubtly evolved about the life of this
remarkable individual. Given her gender and place in history, how
couldn't it ?

However the argument advanced by Anglin is disturbing. Somehow it
suggests more the reasoning of an American trained court attorney
than that of an historian.

I sometimes wonder that if Hypathia had been a Christian convert, she
would had been made a saint by the Church.

Al Barron
Metuchen, NJ