Replies: 25   Last Post: Jul 19, 2000 9:37 PM

John Conway

Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, James A. Landau quoted and wrote:

>> I need some examples of results which are not named after the people who
>> derived them - ie [sic] - L'Hopital's rule, found by his tutor Johann
>> Bernoulli.

This raises an interesting point. Since de l'Hopital actually paid
Bernoulli for the right to publish some of the latter's results as his,
shouldn't we respect their agreement by continuing to use his name?

> Someone---I cannot recall whom or when---deduced that the universe was
> finite. If it were infinte (and stars were distributed randomly) then any
> line of sight will reach a star and the night sky will not be dark

This is the so-called "Olbers paradox".

John Conway

Date Subject Author
3/16/00
Read [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Andrew Bowering
3/18/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
James A Landau
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
John Conway
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
John Conway
3/25/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
MANN@vms.huji.ac.il
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
David Fowler
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Johnsonart@aol.com
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
John Conway
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Ralph A. Raimi
3/25/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Antreas P. Hatzipolakis
3/20/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
RJR_McWhinnie
3/20/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Don Cook
3/21/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
MANN@vms.huji.ac.il
3/22/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Michael S. Mahoney
3/21/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
GARCIADIEGO DANTAN ALEJANDRO
3/21/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Alfred Ross
3/23/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Udai Venedem
3/25/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
6/21/00
Read Re: [HM] Historia Matematica: our mailing list
Peter Mitchell
7/17/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Barry Cipra
7/17/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
7/19/00
Read [HM] Benford's Law
Ralph A. Raimi