The Math Forum

Replies: 25   Last Post: Jul 19, 2000 9:37 PM

Antreas P. Hatzipolakis

Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert

Andrew Bowering wrote (in part):

> I am in my final year of a degree course in Mathematics and in need of
> big help. I have noticed the wealth of knowledge out there amongst
> you but now I need to tap into this knowledge. Firstly I need some
> examples of results which are not named after the people who derived
> them - ie - L'Hopital's rule, found by his tutor Johann Bernoulli.

Dear Andrew,

Following are a few examples from Euclidean Geometry:

1. Apollonian Circle:

This circle as locus-proposition appeared first in Aristotle, Meteor. III.
5.375b16 - 376b12

Reference:
Thomas Heath: Mathematics in Aristotle.
Bristol: Thoemmes Press, 1998, pp. 181ff.

2. On the Lemoine Point a.k.a. Grebe Point:

See the HM thred "Grebe":

http://forum.swarthmore.edu/epigone/historia_matematica/phelchosneh/

3. On the Feuerbach Circle a.k.a. Euler Circle:

See the HM thread "Benjamin Bevan's Problem":

http://forum.swarthmore.edu/epigone/historia_matematica/foxkhowhil

Good Luck!

Antreas

Date Subject Author
3/16/00
Read [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Andrew Bowering
3/18/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
James A Landau
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
John Conway
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
John Conway
3/25/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
MANN@vms.huji.ac.il
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
David Fowler
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Johnsonart@aol.com
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
John Conway
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Ralph A. Raimi
3/25/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Antreas P. Hatzipolakis
3/20/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
RJR_McWhinnie
3/20/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Don Cook
3/21/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
MANN@vms.huji.ac.il
3/22/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Michael S. Mahoney
3/21/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
GARCIADIEGO DANTAN ALEJANDRO
3/21/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Alfred Ross
3/23/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Udai Venedem
3/25/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
6/21/00
Read Re: [HM] Historia Matematica: our mailing list
Peter Mitchell
7/17/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Barry Cipra
7/17/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
7/19/00
Read [HM] Benford's Law
Ralph A. Raimi