The Math Forum

Replies: 23   Last Post: Mar 15, 2001 1:04 PM

John Conway

Re: [HM] Language of Discovery

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Gordon Fisher wrote:

> I guess most mathematicians, in our current usages of the term,
> don't give much of a hoot about the ontological status of numbers or
> the nature of the existence of mathematical objects and processes,...

This is, of course, quite true, as a sociological observation, but
hardly has much relevance, as there are plenty of mathematicians that do.

However, to make noises of any value about these matters nowadays
really requires a considerable education in mathematical logic, and
probably less than 5% of professional mathematicians have had such an
education. Those who have are usually decidedly more dubious about
the nature of mathematical existence than those who haven't!

John Conway