Replies: 3   Last Post: Jan 28, 2001 6:51 PM

Rex

Re: [math-learn] Repeating decimals

Jeff LeMieux wrote:
> I have written a small program (dos/win)
> which asks that you give the number of places you wish the
> problem 1/n solved to. It then asks for n.
> Is this a reasonable assignment? Could you think of other
> purposes for it?

I believe discovering the general rule for finding the number of digits
before the decimal repeats is quite complicated (I'm not positive about
this). But discovering the rule for when the decimal terminates is within
the scope of a middle school student.

How difficult is it to find the rules for decimals that repeat after 1, 2, 3
and 4 digits?

Cheers

Rex
Rex Boggs
Glenmore State High School Phone: 0749 230 338
P.O. Box 5822 Fax: 0749 230 350
Rockhampton Mail Centre
Rockhampton QLD 4702
Australia
Secondary Mathematics Assessment and Resource Database
http://smard.cqu.edu.au
Exploring Data
http://exploringdata.cqu.edu.au

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups