Topic: Algebra Tiles
Replies: 23   Last Post: Feb 12, 2002 6:42 PM

Sounny Slitine

RE: Calculus in 9th grade and such, was Re: Algebra Tiles

Well, you are not a sport, how can you be a good math teacher? How can i
trust my child to be educated and well rounded student if you are the
teacher. I am glad you are no longer part of this list!!. I hope that no
one like you joint the list and no one like you be part of it.!!!!!!!! Take
it like a man!!!!!!

At 11:47 PM 2/9/2002 +0000, David McLaren wrote:
Mea culpa, mea culpa.

I have unsuscribed.

Have a good day.

David

From: Mike Robison <mrobison@voyager.net>
To: raypublk@san.rr.com
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 11:14:15 -0500

RayM wrote:

> Anyway, I'm left with a sense that too much of the problem definition on
> this list is how to band aid situations that never should have come to be
> and far too little about how to change the system to do it right in the
> first place.

I can think of two valid reasons for that:

First, the focus of this list is teaching mathematics in community
colleges, not restructuring k-12 education in the United States. While
I have considerable interest in the second topic, it is not the main
purpose of the list, nor is it within any of our authority.

Second, while I strongly believe that the teacher and the curriculum are
important, no matter what teachers do, relatively few students are going
to be ready for study of calculus, as currently conceived, by 9th
grade. Even in the 1950's, that didn't happen, to say the least. Some
kids, apparently including yours, simply learn faster.

Tying the two points together, I would like to ask, as I do
periodically, that all of you, particularly in Community colleges, be
receptive to the highly capable and very young student who wants to be
in your class. Even remedial college classes tend to have a faster pace
than the k-12 presentation of the same material. Since the standard
k-12 presentation may be stifling for highly capable students, college
is an important option for some of them.

Mike
--
Mike Robison
MA, Teaching Mathematics, Secondary Mathematics Teacher

Lillie R.F. Crowley, Ph.D.
138 Moloney Building
Lexington Community College
Lexington, KY 40506-0235