Replies: 17   Last Post: Nov 29, 1999 4:59 PM

Sandra Z. Keith

Re: [MATHEDU] Writing Requirement

I hope Judy doesn't mind my forwarding this on to this list. I'd really
like to get a discussion going, because the experiences we're basing on are
really quite different-- no one formula is going to apply. best, sk

>Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:26:33 -0600
>From: Judy Roitman <roitman@math.ukans.edu>
>Subject: Re: [MATHEDU] Writing Requirement
>To: "Sandra Z. Keith" <keith@STCLOUDSTATE.EDU>
>
>I have had great success asking students in my first semester geometry
>course for teachers to read a couple of chapters of a state of the art high
>school text (Connected Geometry, absolutely gorgeous) and write about it in
>their own words. I have them do this as group projects.
>
>The secret is to pick relatively low level material. Some sources:
>Mathematics Intelligencer; College Math Journal; other texts, or even your
>own text with optional material.
>
>(I'm having trouble sending this to the NExT list. If you think it's
>helpful, could you send it on? Thanks.)

>Judy Roitman | "Whoppers Whoppers Whoppers!
>Math, University of Kansas | memory fails
>Lawrence, KS 66045 | these are the days."
>785-864-4630 |
>fax: 785-864-5255 | Larry Eigner,

1927-1996
>Note new area code
>http://www.math.ukans.edu/~roitman/

==============

Sandra Z. Keith
Mathematics
St. Cloud State, St. Cloud, MN 56301
http://stcloudstate.edu/~keith/
"Mathematical Musings": student math website http://stcloudstate.edu/~musings/

This is an unmoderated distribution list discussing teaching and learning
of post-calculus mathematics.---David.Epstein@warwick.ac.uk

Get guidelines before posting: email majordomo@warwick.ac.uk saying
get mathedu guidelines
(Un)subscribe to mathedu(-digest)by email to majordomo@warwick.ac.uk saying: