Replies: 17   Last Post: Nov 29, 1999 4:59 PM

me@talmanl1.mscd.edu

Re: [MATHEDU] Writing Requirement

Jaime Carvalho e Silva wrote:

> Maybe the problem is not in what you might have written but in
> the inability students seem to have to read their own writing
> and see that it is not quite acceptable.
> Maybe they should read quite a lot of good mathematics writing
> before being able to construct a nice text.
> Maybe you should have a "Reading Requirement" before
> having a "Writing Requirement".

This is sound advice. An English professor long ago taught me that
the best way to learn to write well is to read good literature. What
works in English should work in mathematics.

Part of the problem your students have arises from the fact that we
no longer seem to ask our students to read their textbooks. Of course,
it is by no means clear that making them to do so would fix anything,
because it is a rare textbook that qualifies as good (mathematical)
literature...

--Lou Talman
Campus Box 38
Metropolitan State College of Denver
PO Box 173362
Denver CO 80217-3362

http://clem.mscd.edu/~talmanl

This is an unmoderated distribution list discussing teaching and learning
of post-calculus mathematics.---David.Epstein@warwick.ac.uk

Get guidelines before posting: email majordomo@warwick.ac.uk saying
get mathedu guidelines
(Un)subscribe to mathedu(-digest)by email to majordomo@warwick.ac.uk saying: