Replies: 12   Last Post: May 18, 2002 11:28 AM

John Pais

Re: [MATHEDU] In case you think you've got it bad...

"David A. Smith" wrote:

<snip>

The software I use for

> communication with my students is Blackboard -- adopted and supported
> campus-wide. It has some online assessment capability, but I don't use it
> bacuse it doesn't fit with my educational philosophy. The document I was
> talking about -- essentially a handout -- could just have well been on paper,
> but it's more convenient to create it at home, upload it to Blackboard (which
> controls release time), and forget it. In particular, the dept copier is not
> in this loop. I usually create the document in either Word or Maple (depending
> on whether I need to provide any code or typeset mathematics) and then export
> to HTML as well, so two or three versions will be posted -- at least one of
> which can be read anywhere.

David--This is a very nice way to deal with the end of semester crunch that I will
definitely consider next time.

I thank David and everyone else who responded to this thread both privately and on
mathedu for their interesting perspective and very helpful suggestions!

Regarding what I posted on my office door,

http://kinetigram.com/FinalGrades.html

I received the following nice email message:

"I just want you to know that I support your protest. This is what ____ and
I meant when we said that we didn't feel that stlcop [the college] does a very good
job of making there students feel good about what they are doing. I guess the same

is true for the faculty. I just want you to know that ____ and I truly
appreciate your words of encouragement ....
Thank you! Have a great summer!"

This is an unmoderated distribution list discussing teaching and learning
of post-calculus mathematics.---David.Epstein@warwick.ac.uk

Get guidelines before posting: email majordomo@warwick.ac.uk saying
get mathedu guidelines
(Un)subscribe to mathedu(-digest)by email to majordomo@warwick.ac.uk saying: