Topic: The Fall of the Alexandrian Library
Replies: 10   Last Post: Mar 5, 2001 2:30 PM

Patrick Ion

Re: The Fall of the Alexandrian Library

At 5:20 PM -0700 9/8/00, Michael Button wrote:
>Reading in "A Short Account of the History of Mathematics" by Ball, I came
>upon a passage that said ....
>Does anyone know where Ball got this quote? I seem to recall that it comes
>from one of the later Roman writers, but I do not recall which one.

I cannot answer your question as to the source of the quotation. However,
I recollect that the book

Title: The vanished library / Luciano Canfora ; translated by Martin
Ryle.
Uniform Title: Biblioteca scomparsa. English
Author: Canfora, Luciano.
Edition: California ed. (Corr. translation)
Published: Berkeley : University of California Press, 1990, c1987
Series: Hellenistic culture and society ; 7
Subjects: Libraries--Egypt--Alexandria--History--To 400.
Civilization, Classical.
Alexandria (Egypt)--Intellectual life.
Alexandria (Egypt)--Antiquities.
Subjects (Name): Aliksandrina (Library)
Notes: Translation of: La biblioteca scomparsa. Includes
bibliographical references (p. 100-106) and index.
ISBN: 0520072553 (paper)

gives an account of the loss to the world of the resource which was
the Great Library at Alexandria which describes it as not the result
of a single catastrophe but of a series of losses of cultural heritage.

While looking in the University of Michigan Catalogue for the correct
citation for that book, I came across several references, which I have
not read, that seemed relevant and may serve to illustrate that there
is some scholarly controversy on the subject. I particularly would
like to see the first item listed below because it is from an Arab scholar
and published after, and the second one because it is brand new.
I include the list below.

Best regards,

Patrick Ion

Records from a Library Search at UM
===================================

Source: UMich Library (MCAT)
Title: The life and fate of the ancient Library of Alexandria / Mostafa
El-Abbadi.
Author: El-Abbadi, Mostafa.
Edition: 2nd ed., rev.
Published: Paris : Unesco/UNDP, 1992.
Subjects: Libraries--Egypt--Alexandria--History--To 400.
Subjects (Name): Aliksandrina (Library)
Contributors: Unesco.
United Nations Development Programme.
Notes: Bibliography: p. 229-233. Includes index.
ISBN: 9231026321 (pbk.)
----------

Source: UMich Library (MCAT)
Title: The Library of Alexandria : centre of learning in the ancient
world / : edited by Roy MacLeod.
Published: England I B Tauris & Co Biblios 2000.
ISBN: 1860644287
----------

Source: UMich Library (MCAT)
Title: L'incendie de la bibliothèque d'Alexandrie par les Arabes
[microform]
Author: Casanova, Paul, 1861-1926.
Published: [Paris : s.n., 1923].
Series: Revue des bibliothèques, t. 33.
Subjects: Libraries--Egypt--Alexandria
Notes: Signed: P. Casanova. "Communication fait à l'Académie des
inscriptions et belles-lettres le mercredi 28 mars 1923".
Microfilm. Ann Arbor, University of Michigan, University Library,
Preservation Office Microfilming Unit, 1993. 1 reel. 35 mm.
Microfilm (negative). Ann Arbor, University of Michigan, University
Library, Preservation Office Microfilming Unit, 1993. 1 reel. 35 mm.
---------

Source: UMich Library (MCAT)
Title: The library of ancient Alexandria; lecture delivered at the
University Reception Hall, Monday, December 21, 1953.
Author: Westermann, William Linn, 1873-1954.
Published: Egypt, University of Alexandria Press, 1954.
Subjects: Libraries--History--Ancient.
Subjects (Name): Alexandrian Library
----------

Source: UMich Library (MCAT)
Title: The ancient library of Alexandria and early Christian
theological development / by J. Harold Ellens.
Author: Ellens, J. Harold, 1932-
Published: Claremont, Calif. : Institute for Antiquity and
Christianity, 1993.
Series: Occasional papers (Institute for Antiquity and Christianity) ;
no. 29.
Subjects: Christianity and culture--History--Early church, ca. 30-600.
Alexandria (Egypt)--Civilization.
Alexandria (Egypt)--Religion.
Subjects (Name): Aliksandrina (Library)
Philo, of Alexandria.
Notes: Cover title. Includes bibliographical references (p. [52-60]).
----------

Source: UMich Library (MCAT)
Title: Fihris makhtutat Baladiyat al-Iskandariyah / i‘dad wa-taqdim
Yusuf Zaydan ; tasdir Muhsin Muharram Zahran.
Author: Zaydan, Yusuf.
Published: al-Iskandariyah : al-Hay’ah al-‘Ammah li-Maktabat
al-Iskandariyah, 1996-
Subjects: Manuscripts, Arabic--Egypt--Alexandria--Catalogs.
Subjects (Name): Maktabat Baladiyat al-Iskandariyah
Contributors: Maktabat Baladiyat al-Iskandariyah.
Zahran, Muhsin Muharram.
Other Titles: Catalogue of mnanuscripts in The Municipal Library of
Alexandria
Notes: Includes bibliographical references.
Contents: al-Juz’ 1. al-Makhtutat al-‘ilmiyah.
----------

Source: UMich Library (MCAT)
Title: The Jew of Alexandria, or, The myth of the Library : a poetic
drama / by Tawfik Ali Mansour.
Author: Mansur, Tawfiq ‘Ali.
Edition: 1st ed.
Published: Cairo : Dar Al Maaref, [1994], c1993.
Other Titles: Myth of the Library.
ISBN: 9770512125
----------

Source: UMich Library (MCAT)
Title: Kallimachos : the Alexandrian Library and the origins of
bibliography / Rudolf Blum ; translated from the German by Hans H.
Wellisch.
Uniform Title: Kallimachos und die Literaturverzeichnung bei den
Griechen. English
Author: Blum, Rudolf, 1909-
Published: Madison, Wis. : University of Wisconsin Press, c1991.
Series: Wisconsin studies in classics
Subjects: Libraries--Egypt--Alexandria--History--To 400.
Greek literature--Bibliography--Methodology.
Bibliography--Egypt--Alexandria--History.
Cataloging--Egypt--Alexandria--History.
Greece--Bibliography--Methodology.
Subjects (Name): Aliksandrina (Library)
Callimachus
Callimachus
Notes: Translation of: Kallimachos und die Literaturverzeichnung bei
den Griechen. Includes bibliographical references (p. 248-262) and
ISBN: 029913170X (cloth) :