Topic: The Fall of the Alexandrian Library
Replies: 10   Last Post: Mar 5, 2001 2:30 PM

Ralph Gainey

Re: The Fall of the Alexandrian Library

Michael Button wrote:

>Does anyone know where Ball got this quote? I seem to recall that it comes
>from one of the later Roman writers, but I do not recall which one.

The library at Alexandria was burned in the fifth century. Muhammad was
born in the seventh century CE. The library at Alexandria seems to have
been burned by the Patriarch of Christianity who was affronted by
"pagan" books. Ditto in Andalusia and Constantinople. The latter were
libraries established and maintained by Muslims.

I am not aware of any book burnings by Muslims, who are directed by faith
to venerate knowledge and truth from whatever source it may come. While the
Qur'an is carefully preserved in its original form, other books are considered
to be a threat.

Omar Rumi