Topic: The Fall of the Alexandrian Library
Replies: 10   Last Post: Mar 5, 2001 2:30 PM

Antreas P. Hatzipolakis

Re: The Fall of the Alexandrian Library

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Omar Rumi wrote:

>Michael Button wrote:
>

>>Does anyone know where Ball got this quote? I seem to recall that it comes
>>from one of the later Roman writers, but I do not recall which one.

>The library at Alexandria was burned in the fifth century. Muhammad was
>born in the seventh century CE. The library at Alexandria seems to have
>been burned by the Patriarch of Christianity who was affronted by
>"pagan" books. Ditto in Andalusia and Constantinople. The latter were
>libraries established and maintained by Muslims.
>
>I am not aware of any book burnings by Muslims, who are directed by faith
>to venerate knowledge and truth from whatever source it may come. While the
>Qur'an is carefully preserved in its original form, other books are considered
>to be a threat.
>
>Omar Rumi

Friday, 2 March, 2001, 00:37 GMT
Fury over Taleban statue purge

The international community has reacted with outrage to the news that
Afghanistan's ruling Taleban movement has begun destroying the country's
statues.

The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural
Organisation, Unesco, denounced what it calls acts of vandalism,
and called on Muslim nations to try to put an end to the destruction.

But the international outcry was dismissed and reports from Kabul describe
the hard-line Islamists using tanks and rocket launchers in their quest to
rid Afghanistan of the images which they consider blasphemous.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1196000/1196363.stm

Antreas