Topic: CL # 4, Some comments
Replies: 28   Last Post: Nov 14, 1996 10:36 PM

Ralph A. Raimi

Re: CL # 4, Some comments

On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, Kim or Melodie Mackey wrote:

> >Collaborative learning skills need to be modelled to become effective, yet
> >how many administrators run their schools or departments in a cooperative
> >fashion? Very few meetings are run using collaborative techniques.

That:
> This is quite true, and there are times when I would like to see
> administrators use collaborative techniques in meetings. But there are also
> numerous times when I would just like to get some work done and not have to
> worry about reaching a consensus.

My comment: It might be that collaborative techniques followed by
consensus are a good device for students' exploration of mathematical
truth. This is a matter on which I am not prepared to give an opinion.
However, the possibility of true consensus in questions like the answer
to a mathematical question is quite good. People *can* be convinced by
argument and reason, and the correct answer, since there is one, *can* be
arrived at and made unanimous.

But 'arriving at consensus' at an administrative meeting is
another matter. There may not be a true answer, only interests to be
balanced. The proponents of 'participatory democracy' of the 1960s often
used the drive to consensus as an intimidating device. The most famous
example of consensus of that era was Mao's China and its cultural
revolution, in which the degree of consensus was perfectly amazing.

One of the great philosophical works of the 19th Century was
Robert's Rules of Order, which prescribes majorities, not consensus.
Every democracy works by rules of this sort, while every tyranny works by
consensus.

In having math students reach a consensus, the teacher should
make sure that the decisions are not made by intimidation.

Ralph A. Raimi Tel. 716 275 4429, or (home) 716 244 9368
University of Rochester Fax 716 244 6631
Rochester, NY 14627 Homepage: http://www.math.rochester.edu/u/rarm

Date Subject Author
11/9/96
Read CL # 4, Some comments
Kim or Melodie Mackey
11/9/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/9/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Andre TOOM
11/9/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/9/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Tad Watanabe
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Tad Watanabe
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Andre TOOM
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
W Gary Martin
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Howard L. Hansen
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Jack Roach
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
W Gary Martin
11/11/96
Read conflict in views of mathematics
Richard W. Wilson
11/11/96
Read Re: conflict in views of mathematics
W Gary Martin
11/14/96
Read Re: conflict in views of mathematics
Richard W. Wilson
11/13/96
Read Re: conflict in views of mathematics
Ralph A. Raimi
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Michael Paul Goldenberg