Topic: CL # 4, Some comments
Replies: 28   Last Post: Nov 14, 1996 10:36 PM

Jack Roach

Re: CL # 4, Some comments

On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, W. Gary Martin wrote:

> At 1:18 PM 11/9/96, Ralph A. Raimi wrote:
> >On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Andre TOOM wrote:
> >Such situations might involve mathematics, but the fuzzy part is
> >generally social and not mathematical. To the question, "Which form of
> >measurement here would be most convenient?", there might not be one
> >correct answer; but such a question is not a mathematical one. Here a
> >parliamentary approach is best, with each participant guaranteed a right
> >to the floor at some time in the debate.

> How can you say that this is not a mathematical question? I'm baffled.
> Trying to determine the most appropriate or convenient means of modeling a
> situation seems to me very mathematical. There likely are many possible

I would agree that this is not mathematics. The mathematics is in the
model, not in what is modeled. (Clearly this is not to say the thing
being modeled is unimportant nor that the modeling does not involve
mathematics.)

Jack

Date Subject Author
11/9/96
Read CL # 4, Some comments
Kim or Melodie Mackey
11/9/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/9/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Andre TOOM
11/9/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/9/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Tad Watanabe
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Tad Watanabe
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Andre TOOM
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
W Gary Martin
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Howard L. Hansen
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Jack Roach
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
W Gary Martin
11/11/96
Read conflict in views of mathematics
Richard W. Wilson
11/11/96
Read Re: conflict in views of mathematics
W Gary Martin
11/14/96
Read Re: conflict in views of mathematics
Richard W. Wilson
11/13/96
Read Re: conflict in views of mathematics
Ralph A. Raimi
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Michael Paul Goldenberg