Topic: CL # 4, Some comments
Replies: 28   Last Post: Nov 14, 1996 10:36 PM

Ralph A. Raimi

Re: conflict in views of mathematics

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Richard W. Wilson wrote:

> Math could be, and I believe is, both independent of and inherently a part
> of human experience. I'm not sure we want to get off into this very
> theoretical/philosophical debate when we have been primarily dealing with
> more directly mathematical issues recently.

Hear, hear! This all began, however, with a genuine pedagogical
question, of how -- or why! -- or whether! -- to present to children the
notion that mathematical questions can have various answers, according to
circumstances or purposes of the moment. For this problem we needed a
definition of "mathematical question" and "various answers." I believe
I've said about as much as I know about these things, and maybe more. In
summary of my own view, I consider it mischievous to put forward any such
notion, even while understanding that every *practical* problem in the
world is subject to doubtful answers.

Ralph A. Raimi Tel. 716 275 4429, or (home) 716 244 9368
University of Rochester Fax 716 244 6631
Rochester, NY 14627 Homepage: http://www.math.rochester.edu/u/rarm

Date Subject Author
11/9/96
Read CL # 4, Some comments
Kim or Melodie Mackey
11/9/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/9/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Andre TOOM
11/9/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/9/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Tad Watanabe
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Tad Watanabe
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Andre TOOM
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
W Gary Martin
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Howard L. Hansen
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Jack Roach
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
W Gary Martin
11/11/96
Read conflict in views of mathematics
Richard W. Wilson
11/11/96
Read Re: conflict in views of mathematics
W Gary Martin
11/14/96
Read Re: conflict in views of mathematics
Richard W. Wilson
11/13/96
Read Re: conflict in views of mathematics
Ralph A. Raimi
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Michael Paul Goldenberg