The Math Forum

Topic: parent's messages
Replies: 65   Last Post: Aug 29, 1998 10:45 AM

Andre TOOM

Re: parent's messages

On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Lou Talman wrote:

> I don't know of any on this list who would not agree that the "teaching"
> described in your extracts is abominable. What is your point? Do you
> attribute these stories to San Antonio's adoption of the NCTM Standards
> (or some similar body of standards)?
> It seems to me that even most of the Standards' most vociferous critics
> might agree that most teachers who really have their students' best
> interest at heart would do better than this, even under the guidance
> of the Standards.

``Most teachers who really have their students' best interest at heart...''
This is naive. Most teachers (as most people) have their own interests
at heart first of all. It does not mean that they are immoral,
it simply means that they are humans, neither beasts nor angels.
Many of these teachers love kids and are not devoid of normal human decency.
They are not happy having to forbid students to ask questions, but they
cannot afford it because most probably they will not be able to answer them.
They would be most happy to communicate with their students in a
friendly manner, and this can be achieved by the price of a small
amputation: just exclude solving problems from math classes.
But these teachers also want to save their face, they don't want
to admit that they are not competent, they want to pretend that
they are going to do something more advanced than solving problems.
And this explains the tremendous success of all the activities
associated with NCTM "standards". Professors and other important
people tell teachers ex cathedra that problems are `phony'
and that it is much more modern and creative to involve students
into collecting portfolios, writing essays, answering open-ended
questions etc. - all those activities where everybody is right.
Advantages:
1) All teachers are competent enough, nobody needs to be fired.
2) All students succeed, whatever they write is accepted.
3) Teachers can afford to allow students to ask questions,
so that there is a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
Any question is OK because any answer is OK.
Disadvantage (only one):
Students never learn to solve those hard problems where there
is just one right answer. But they did not learn much of it
under the old program also, so there is not much to lose.

Andre Toom
Department of Mathematics toom@the-college.iwctx.edu
University of the Incarnate Word Tel. 210-646-0500 (h)
4301 Broadway 210-829-3170 (o)
San Antonio, Texas 78209-6318 Fax 210-829-3153

Date Subject Author
1/24/97
Read parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Lou Talman
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Presidential commission
ramserj@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Lutemann@aol.com
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Francis M. Fennell
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
CHAPMAN@APSICC.APS.EDU
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
8/27/98
Read math proofs
lavalle watson
8/29/98
Read product=lcm x gcd
harry sedinger
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Ed Dickey
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
W Gary Martin
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Andre's interpretation of my words.
Judith E. Jacobs
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Ed Wall
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
W Gary Martin
2/1/97
Read Re: parent's messages
scott powell