The Math Forum

Topic: parent's messages
Replies: 65   Last Post: Aug 29, 1998 10:45 AM

Tad Watanabe

Re: parent's messages

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Andre TOOM wrote:

> I did not say that they THINK that all teachers are competent.
> I said that they say what incompetent teachers want to hear.
> Of course, a few especially inappropriate teachers will
> suffer even under their system, but only very few.
> And the word `articulating' is most inappropriate when speaking
> about the NCTM "standards" - they are the most UNarticulate
> documents I have ever seen.

Well, if the issue is certain readers interpreting the documents in the
way they want to, then I see the problem on both sides. I sometime
wonder if those people who criticize the standards have actually read the
docments. Somehow or rather, they seem to read the documents with
completely different sets of lenses. And, I suppose if that is because
the documents are not articulate enough, maybe you have a valid point.

> The President of USA should appoint an advisory committee for
> intellectual affairs. Although I am very busy, I agree to chair it.
> My first decree will be: require that every
> graduate from every high school can
> a) do mental and paper-and-pencil arithmetics WITHOUT A CALCULATOR,
> b) solve simple word problems AND GET THE RIGHT ANSWERS,
> c) solve simple problems in elementary geometry,
> d) solve simple problems in elementary physics,
> e) graph simple functions BY HAND.

I would think these goals are not necessarily incmpatible with the
standards.

Anyway, I think you need to articulate a little bit more about the words
like "simple" and "elementary" in order for these statements to be useful
goals.

> Teachers who cannot teach solving problems will have
> to choose between teaching athletics and retirement.
> They will be replaced by immigrants from Russia.

So, what does a teacher need to know and be able to do to teach their
students so that they can meet these goals?

Tad Watanabe
Towson State University
Towson, Maryland

Date Subject Author
1/24/97
Read parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Lou Talman
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Presidential commission
ramserj@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Lutemann@aol.com
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Francis M. Fennell
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
CHAPMAN@APSICC.APS.EDU
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
8/27/98
Read math proofs
lavalle watson
8/29/98
Read product=lcm x gcd
harry sedinger
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Ed Dickey
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
W Gary Martin
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Andre's interpretation of my words.
Judith E. Jacobs
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Ed Wall
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
W Gary Martin
2/1/97
Read Re: parent's messages
scott powell