The Math Forum

Topic: parent's messages
Replies: 65   Last Post: Aug 29, 1998 10:45 AM

Tad Watanabe

Re: parent's messages

On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Andre TOOM wrote:

> I only want to say that good teaching
> is a tradition and cannot be achieved by a single teacher.
> Tradition of good teaching mathematics is conspucious by its
> absense in USA. To explain this in detail, I would need to
> comment several videos of math lessons made in several countries.

> In San Diego I saw a video of a Japanese math lesson and it was
> pleasant for me to see how similar to Russian lessons it was.
> Not because Russia influenced Japan or vice versa, but because
> both are based on the normal relations: students respect the
> teacher, the teacher cares about best interests of students.
> Let me mention a small detail which seems not to have been
> verbalized by the people who made TIMSS: when the class starts,
> the Japanese students greet the teacher by standing up.

I agree that there are many cultural/societal/traditional differences
between the US and Russia or Japan. This goes MUCH beyond what an
individual mathematics teacher (or an organization of mathematics
teachers) can do. It seems that an individual teacher is bound to work
within the confine of these traditions. Although Andre might not agree,
I think the Standards are indeed trying to change some of those
traditions.

> Same in Russia. It is important because it reminds the students
> that starting this moment they have special duties: to give
> up everything else, to concentrate on the subject matter
> and to respect the teacher. When I enter the class in my
> university, students sit in relaxed manner, and my entrance
> marks nothing for them. I need to take special measures
> to bring them into a working condition. I can do it because
> I am an especially competent teacher, but many American
> teachers cannot, and their students remain disrespectful
> throughout the class. It is impossible to teach productively
> students who do not respect you.

So, what is that you do that can bring them into this 'working
condition'? An individual teacher cannot change traditions single
handedly, however, there are many things s/he can do to be more effective
working within the tradtion s/he finds herself/himself. S/he cannot make
her/his students get up to greet her/him at the beginning of the lesson
or make her/his students respect her/him. However, if the focus is to
bring students into this 'working condition' maybe there are things
American teachers can do within the culture/tradition that works
effectively. I would be very much interested in some details of what
Andre does.

> Or take the typical American awe for the non-intellectualism:
> a student who does not care about abstractions
> is a sacred cow for American educators: all the pedagogy,
> all the syllabuses, all the textbooks are written
> primarily for that student to the neglect of others.

I find it interesting that none of the points mentioned by Andre is
specific to mathematics education in the US but rather education in
general and American culture/tradition.

I couldn't quite make sense of what Andre's point was in the last
paragraph. Personally, I found it extremely interesting that, in Japan,
just about every bookstore (large or small) has a section for teachers.
Books you find in there is not limited to teaching academic subjects, but
also many books about how to create a good 'homeroom' atmosphere, how to
deal with different classroom management issues, and others. I got the
sense that Japanese teachers pay a lot of attention to
social/psychological/moral needs and development of their students.

Tad Watanabe
Towson State University
Towson, Maryland

Date Subject Author
1/24/97
Read parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Lou Talman
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Presidential commission
ramserj@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Lutemann@aol.com
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Francis M. Fennell
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
CHAPMAN@APSICC.APS.EDU
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
8/27/98
Read math proofs
lavalle watson
8/29/98
Read product=lcm x gcd
harry sedinger
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Ed Dickey
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
W Gary Martin
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Andre's interpretation of my words.
Judith E. Jacobs
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Ed Wall
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
W Gary Martin
2/1/97
Read Re: parent's messages
scott powell