The Math Forum

Topic: parent's messages
Replies: 65   Last Post: Aug 29, 1998 10:45 AM

Andre TOOM

Re: parent's messages

On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, Scott Powell wrote:

> Actually I find that most of my 11th and 12th graders(all ability levels)
> handle this concept just fine. I think it comes to how it is presented.

I absolutely agree. This is what I am trying to bring home all the time:
teenagers are normally interested in abstractions and can master them.
I quoted Vygotsky because I know his writings better, but I am sure
that Piaget had essentially the same opinion on this. Regretfully,
some teachers of mathematics don't know enough mathematics to offer
their students interesting problems. The students are frustrated and
educators misinterpret this frustration as lack of interest in
abstractions. Then these educators insist on using cumbersome and
fat-fetched `real-world' problems, the students are bored still more,
and all the situation gets into a vicious circle.

> The material I am using does an outstanding job of getting the point
> across. Try this. Have students go outside to a place where you have
> marked off points (in meters, feet or whatever you choose). Give each pair
> a stop watch and a set of instructions. One might read like this. Start
> at 10 meters and walk along tape at a steady pace for 10 seconds, then jog
> for 5 more seconds, then stand still for 3 seconds and turn around and walk
> back for 10 seconds. Have them record the marking at each time t(make sure
> tape is at least 50 to 100 meters long). Have them go back and put the
> data on a graph(meters as a function of time). This is an excellent
> representation of displacement and the gradients of each segment represent
> the velocities. It really does work well!!!! Try it Andre.

Seimour Papers used such activities in his classes of Logo.
But his students were of elementary school age and I think
that this is important. For high school students this a ridiculous
infantilism. High school age is time for a powerful development
of abstract thinking and mastery of formalisms.
(This does not exclude athletics, games, picnics etc.)

Andre Toom
Department of Mathematics toom@the-college.iwctx.edu
University of the Incarnate Word Tel. 210-646-0500 (h)
4301 Broadway 210-829-3170 (o)
San Antonio, Texas 78209-6318 Fax 210-829-3153

Date Subject Author
1/24/97
Read parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Lou Talman
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Presidential commission
ramserj@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Lutemann@aol.com
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Francis M. Fennell
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
CHAPMAN@APSICC.APS.EDU
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
8/27/98
Read math proofs
lavalle watson
8/29/98
Read product=lcm x gcd
harry sedinger
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Ed Dickey
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
W Gary Martin
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Andre's interpretation of my words.
Judith E. Jacobs
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Ed Wall
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
W Gary Martin
2/1/97
Read Re: parent's messages
scott powell