The Math Forum

Topic: parent's messages
Replies: 65   Last Post: Aug 29, 1998 10:45 AM

Andre TOOM

Re: parent's messages

On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Howard L. Hansen wrote:

> Whenever I think I understand Toom, like a chameleon he changes.
> Suddenly he is quoting Vygotsky, Piaget, and (I believe he meant)
> Seymour Papert. I wonder what they would think of the tone and content
> of "Mathematically Correct" which Andre so ardently endorses? If I were
> you, Professor Toom I wouldn't let those at "Mathematically Correct"
> know that you espouse such radically constructivist ideas--The ideas of
> the three people you have mentioned would certainly be anathema to those
> who want to discredit, debunk, and stop the reforms embodied in the
> Standards.

Howard is desperately trying to define my
position in terms of present-day politics.
However, I use more important reference-points.
I am not on the side of `Mathematically Correct'
or `radical constructivism'. I am on the side of Euclid.
My position happens to have much in common with members of the
`Mathematically Correct' just because all of us care about
mathematics, not because of some conspiracy between us.
I don't understand what does Howard mean by `radically
constructivist ideas' and why does he mention them in this context.

Some member of this list claimed that I fight the
battle between Russian and Americans. Wrong.
I fight the battle between enlightenment and obscurantism.
Last year I taught a course of History of Mathematics.
We studied Euclid's Elements and I used this pretext to
teach my students some beautiful classical geometry
about which they had no idea.
The students were delighted and one asked: is there a book
where all these wonderful theorems are collected?
I answered: yes, it was published more than 2000 years ago.
I was proud as if it were me who wrote Elements.
I remember that Eratosthenes was nicknamed `Beta'.
Who was Alpha? Perhaps, Euclid? Besides them I am only
a small Epsilon, but I am greater than zero and proud of it!

Now about NCTM "standards". From time to time another mistake
is found. The last time it was Jack Roach who found a mistake
in the `ice-cream' problem. But what is most important for me
is not just presence of these mistakes, it is rather absence
in the "standards" of almost everything that makes me proud
that I am a mathematician. Look through chapters `Mathematics
as reasoning' - you will find NOT ONE classical example.
Can you imagine a History of Art which ignores Parthenon
and starts straight from Andy Warhol's Campbell Soup?
Or World History which starts from last year's yard sale?
The NCTM "standards" are of this kind.
They are barbarous, provincial and anti-cultural.
They ignore world civilization.

Andre Toom
Department of Mathematics toom@the-college.iwctx.edu
University of the Incarnate Word Tel. 210-646-0500 (h)
4301 Broadway 210-829-3170 (o)
San Antonio, Texas 78209-6318 Fax 210-829-3153

Date Subject Author
1/24/97
Read parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Lou Talman
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Presidential commission
ramserj@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Lutemann@aol.com
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Francis M. Fennell
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
CHAPMAN@APSICC.APS.EDU
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
8/27/98
Read math proofs
lavalle watson
8/29/98
Read product=lcm x gcd
harry sedinger
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Ed Dickey
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
W Gary Martin
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Andre's interpretation of my words.
Judith E. Jacobs
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Ed Wall
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
W Gary Martin
2/1/97
Read Re: parent's messages
scott powell