The Math Forum

Topic: parent's messages
Replies: 65   Last Post: Aug 29, 1998 10:45 AM

Ralph A. Raimi

Re: parent's messages

On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Tad Watanabe wrote:

> I agree that there are many cultural/societal/traditional differences
> between the US and Russia or Japan.

What is the meaning of the symbol "/"? Is it "or" or is it "and"?
I always have trouble reading it. I also have some trouble pronouncing
it, except in words like "3/4" where it can be pronounced "over". Words
like "cultural/societal/traditional" generally mean something shorter,
e.g. "cultural". Why not leave it at that?

But when it comes to pronunciation, the following is even harder:

> there are many things s/he can do to be more effective
> working within the tradtion s/he finds herself/himself. S/he cannot make
> her/his students get up to greet her/him at the beginning of the lesson
> or make her/his students respect her/him. However, if the focus is to
> bring students into this 'working condition' maybe there are things
> American teachers can do within the culture/tradition that works
> effectively. I would be very much interested in some details of what
> Andre does.

Maybe that's why Professors Toom and those he seems to be arguing
with have such difficulty with each other: the prose. If I could know the
difference between "culture" and "culture/tradition" I might follow the
argument myself. As it is (not to mention the s/he) I tend to tune out
when I see these things. And yet, my attention span was always highly
praised by my teachers when I was a child, even though it wasn't called
"attention span" in those days, but "effort."

I believe you will find I.M. Gelfand's little books on algebra and
geometry for high school age children contain more mathematics and less
such learned language than we have been reading here recently. I
recommend them. I suspect the Japanese books, including those addressed
to the teachers, exhibit similar virtues.

Ralph A. Raimi Tel. 716 275 4429, or (home) 716 244 9368
University of Rochester Fax 716 244 6631
Rochester, NY 14627 Homepage: http://www.math.rochester.edu/u/rarm

Date Subject Author
1/24/97
Read parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Lou Talman
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Presidential commission
ramserj@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Lutemann@aol.com
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Francis M. Fennell
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
CHAPMAN@APSICC.APS.EDU
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
8/27/98
Read math proofs
lavalle watson
8/29/98
Read product=lcm x gcd
harry sedinger
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Ed Dickey
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
W Gary Martin
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Andre's interpretation of my words.
Judith E. Jacobs
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Ed Wall
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
W Gary Martin
2/1/97
Read Re: parent's messages
scott powell