The Math Forum

Topic: parent's messages
Replies: 65   Last Post: Aug 29, 1998 10:45 AM

Jack Roach

Proofs and mathematical structure

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, under the heading "Re: parent's messages,"
Tad Watanabe wrote:

> I think the fact the writers of the C&E standards avoided the term
> 'proof' in the document was a mistake. They were possibly concerned
> about the emphasis on the 'form' of proofs often seen in teaching of
> two-column proofs. I reall don't know. However, as I look through
> the 'reasoning' standards for K-4, 5-8, and 9-12, there seems to be a
> reasonable development toward more rigorous proofs. One question

I certainly agree avoiding the term _proof_ was a mistake but still I
wonder whether you feel the Standards give short shrift to what is
arguable the most basic and vital mathematical structure of all: proof.
If so, does this constitute "rejecting mathematical structure"?

You did not comment about the ice cream example in the 9-12 Standard #3:
Mathematics as Reasoning. I wonder if anything a person (or committee)
says about "mathematics as reasoning" can be taken seriously after that
person (or committee) makes a statement such as this.

Jack

Date Subject Author
1/24/97
Read parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Lou Talman
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Presidential commission
ramserj@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Lutemann@aol.com
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Francis M. Fennell
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
CHAPMAN@APSICC.APS.EDU
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
8/27/98
Read math proofs
lavalle watson
8/29/98
Read product=lcm x gcd
harry sedinger
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Ed Dickey
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
W Gary Martin
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Andre's interpretation of my words.
Judith E. Jacobs
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Ed Wall
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
W Gary Martin
2/1/97
Read Re: parent's messages
scott powell