The Math Forum

Topic: parent's messages
Replies: 65   Last Post: Aug 29, 1998 10:45 AM

Jack Roach

Re: Proofs and mathematical structure

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Ed Dickey wrote:

> I have to agree with Jack that the ice cream example is flawed. I think
> the authors had in mind an argument that if (p -> q) and (q -> p) are
> true, then p and q are logically equivalent. I don't see how that would
> relate to modus ponens. The example is unfortunate. I wouldn't go as
> far as Jack has and generalize that one should not take seriously
> anything the authors have to say about proof.

I guess I'm not nearly so tolerant. These folks represent themselves as
experts, accept NSF finds and then speak as fools. Surely, Mr. Hirsch,
who is listed as "Chair" of the 9-12 working group, must bear at least
_some_ responsibility for the product. What about the fact that some one
of those 6 people wrote this? Is this sort of thing standard for the
Standards? What about the commission in charge of the whole thing?
(Thomas A. Romberg, (Chair), Iris M. Carl, Christian R. Hirsch, F. Joe
Crosswhite, Glenda Lappan, John A. Dossey, Dale Seymour, James D. Gates,
Lynn A. Steen, Shirley M. Frye, Paul R. Trafton, Shirley A. Hill and
Norman Webb.) While I may be wrong, I strongly suspect they _all_ of them
had an opportunity to read the drafts and the final document and make
comments. In fact, I would guess they were paid to do so. Do they share
any responsibility here?

I see no way to put a good "spin" on this. Put the two groups together
and ask which of the following is most likely true: (a) None of these
folks know the meaning of converse. (b) Someone pointed it out but the
person (or persons) in charge did not understand. (c) Those who know the
meaning of converse took the NSF money but did not look over what was
written. (d) _?_.

If a physician recommends that I have brain surgery to correct a knee
problem, I assure you I will be skeptical of any other advise that person
might give. I would not be able to consider this "unfortunate" or simply
a "flaw" and conclude that it does not reflect on the physician's
competence.

Jack

Date Subject Author
1/24/97
Read parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Lou Talman
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Presidential commission
ramserj@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Lutemann@aol.com
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Francis M. Fennell
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
CHAPMAN@APSICC.APS.EDU
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
8/27/98
Read math proofs
lavalle watson
8/29/98
Read product=lcm x gcd
harry sedinger
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Ed Dickey
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
W Gary Martin
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Andre's interpretation of my words.
Judith E. Jacobs
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Ed Wall
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
W Gary Martin
2/1/97
Read Re: parent's messages
scott powell