Topic: Manipulatives
Replies: 2   Last Post: Apr 11, 1995 8:44 AM

Tad Watanabe

Re: Manipulatives

If I may be a little philosophic,...

One possible problem of the misuse of manipulatives is because some
teachers believe that manipulative "represent" and "embody" mathematical
concepts. If we take the constructivism epistemology seriously,
knowledge/concepts do not exist in things out there. They are
constructed by individuals. So, we as adults can "see" a red Cuisenaire
rod representing/embodying the notion of a half when it is compared to a
purple rod, there is no guarantee that children also "see" that
relationship because that relationship we "see" is our own construction.
It is not in those blocks.

To me the most important criterion for a good instructional material is
whether or not students can "think with" it. I think Seymour Papert
discussed this idea in his book, Mindstorm. Cuisenaire rods, pattern
blocks, base-10 blocks, etc. can be wonderful materials if they are
available for students to use in the way that makes sense to them. It's
just that we can't assume that children will make sense of those
materials in the same way we do. When we make that assumption and
structure the activities, then, IMHO, manipulatives are being misused.

* Tad Watanabe e-mail *
* Dept. of Mathematics watanabe-t@toe.towson.edu *
* Towson State University watanabe-t@towsonvx.bitnet *
* Towson, MD 21204 tad@midget.towson.edu *
* (410) 830 - 3585 (410) 830 - 4149 FAX *