Topic: RE: manipulatives
Replies: 2   Last Post: Apr 17, 1995 2:15 PM

Dean Matthew Crawford

RE: manipulatives

Dan,
How can a student truly say that he understands linear equations
if you do not force him to look at the graphic representation. Read the
newspaper and see how most information is represented. There are graphs,
charts, tables and many other ways used to display statistical data.
I dare to say that most people would better understand the shape of the
earth's orbit for example, when they see the graphic representation of
an ellipse with the sun as a foci; or the path of a kicked soccer ball as
a negative parabolic function; or the cost of operating a car as a linear
function of the number of miles it is driven.
Personally, I believe that if a student cannot see the relation
in a graphical sense, then the student does not completely understand the
concept. I never truly understood trigonometry until I was able to see
the functions graphed and manipulate those graphs through their
equations. In my personal experience, I suppose that graphing has
brought with it much understanding of the topics I learned but never
mastered a long time ago!
Dean Crawford
South Garland HS