Topic: Why trig?
Replies: 21   Last Post: Apr 3, 1997 4:17 PM

rgdbcd@summit.net

RE: Why trig?

--- On Mon, 31 Mar 1997 12:55:16 -0500 hessnesh@hugse1.harvard.edu wrote:

>You are teaching a group of skeptical high school students trigonometry and
>they need to know "Why do we learn Trigonometry?"
>
>Unacceptable answers:
>1. It's the next unit in the book.
>2. The curriculum committee says you have to.
>3. It's on the SAT.
>4. Mathematicians find it "elegant."
>5. In case you ever need to know the height of a flag pole.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Sharon Hessney
>hessnesh@hugse1.harvard.edu

-----------------End of Original Message-----------------
You need trig if you're ever going to study wave mechanics, be an electrical engineer, plot orbits of the planets,...

Name: Bob Davies
Woodberry Forest, VA 22989
E-mail: rgdbcd@summit.net

This message was sent by Chameleon