Topic: how many coins?
Replies: 5   Last Post: Apr 8, 1995 3:01 PM

Tad Watanabe

Re: how many coins?

Jim:

Can you prove this?

The area of the rectangle is 2000 cm^2, and the circle is pi/4 cm^2. So,
if the coing was "soft", we can fit 2000 / (pi/4) ~ 2500. The question
is, off setting the coins will really reduce the waste.

By the way, the name Graham sounds familiar. Does anyone have a reference?

* Tad Watanabe e-mail *
* Dept. of Mathematics watanabe-t@toe.towson.edu *
* Towson State University watanabe-t@towsonvx.bitnet *
* Towson, MD 21204 tad@midget.towson.edu *
* (410) 830 - 3585 (410) 830 - 4149 FAX *