The Math Forum

Topic: Word Problems-a view from a student
Replies: 19   Last Post: Dec 16, 1995 5:38 PM

David K. Pugalee

Re: Word Problems-a view from a student

Your note is interesting. I remember the posting and took the contents
in the context for which they were written. I don't think the writer was
advocating the lack of teacher support for the top students; but, the
writer did point out that in classroom atmospheres which do not support
learning that generally the top students make it. This is perhaps
because of the very supports you mention in your note. I also think your
note supports the general thrust of the standards in that what is being
proposed advocates many different approaches and methods. In this type
of environment each child will benefit from varied techniques.

David K. Pugalee,
Saginaw Valley State University