The Math Forum

Topic: Word Problems-a view from a student
Replies: 19   Last Post: Dec 16, 1995 5:38 PM

Marc Vidulich

Re: Word Problems-a view from a student

On 12/10 Kent Luteman wrote:

>This, of course is obvious, but you're going to get a lot flack from the
>"everybody can learn" crowd. They'll tell you it's just a matter of
>understanding learning styles, etc., etc.

I also believe "everybody can learn" but to what degree is my point. Some
people cannot become Grand Masters in chess or Major League baseball
players, *no matter how they are taught or how much time they put in*. If
one agrees with this, then when should we as a society begin the process of
directing our young people towards those endeavours in which they are best
suited? My own feeling is that 16-18 years of age is too late. You don't
completely abandone all academics for those who might be better suited in
other areas but you don't teach material they have no interest in AND will
have no use for in their profession.

Marc

** **
*** THE VIDULICH FAMILY - MARC, GINNY, NICK, & CONOR ***
**** 8 Loreto View, Kilkenny, Ireland ****
***** e-mail: <vidulich@iol.ie> *****
**** phone: 056-65852 ****
** **