Topic: John Saxon, Jr.'s Books
Replies: 1   Last Post: Dec 6, 1995 2:44 PM

Bob Gordon

Re: John Saxon, Jr.'s Books

In article <9511280535.AA04630@is2.NYU.EDU>, nguyenj@is2.nyu.edu (Joseph
A. Nguyen) wrote:

> I have read some of John Saxon Jr.'s books on Math. I have a mixed feeling
> about his books.
>
> I would like to obtain feedback and comment from any of you who have read
> the books, and are willing to share info. I really appreciate and welcome
> both positive and negative comment.
>
> Thank you.
> Joe, NYU

I have attempted to use Saxon's book for algebra 1. The first time, I
found it a disaster and abandoned its use after about one month. The
second time, I tried to use it (5 years later-you would think I had
learned my lesson), I abandoned its use after 3 days.

There is NO mathematics in his algebra 1 text. I think of Saxon's
approach as similar to learning to play a musical instrument by playing
scales...FOREVER! I DO like his idea of including the same idea
frequently and testing only after there has been sufficient time to master
material.

Basically, the experience was depressing.