Topic: Doubling math classes
Replies: 5   Last Post: Feb 21, 1995 6:56 PM

JSTEW@VMS.ACAD1.ALASKA.EDU

Re: Doubling math classes

Thirty years ago, I was in an accelerated math program and took calculus
in my senior year of high school. When I went to college, I then skipped
the first year of engineering math, basically a calculus course. I never
did "get" math from then on. It was too much to go right in to the
second year of engineering math. Of course, a lot of things might be
different nowadays, but I would recommend that the students not double up
to get a year ahead. Even if they do, they should not use advanced
placement tests to test out of the first year of college math. Don't
rush it, study each topic thoroughly. When you're pushing fifty, as I
am now, having gotten a year ahead seems a small benefit for having lost
the foundation somewhere along the way. Tom Wagner, jstew@acad1.alaska.edu