Topic: text series that support the standards
Replies: 7   Last Post: Feb 24, 1995 3:40 PM

Steve Means

Re: text series that support the standards

I posed Judy's question to one of my classes. Responses included:

George said: "You need to figure out math on your own or with people.
The book is just a tool. I read the book as suggestions. If I can find
a better way I use that."

Eddie: "I use the book to learn vocabulary and to find examples. Now I
read the book more carefully, I really try to understand."

Kyle: "I can't just read the book and figure it out. The examples are
not explained fully. They leave out steps and explanations."

Ronnie: "I use the book as a resource. If I know something, I just
scan. If I do not know, I read as carefully as I can to learn the material."

Gina: "I use as a study tool. It is a step before the real world. It is
the little things before we really use math."

Erin: "I use the text as a resource. I know there are other books and I
sometimes use them, too."

Anne-Marie: "When I use a text book, I use it to supplement what I have
already learned and to help me learn what I do not know. I read it
several times until I get it."

Dane: "I use it as a resource. I also use other books like the Problem
Solvers Guide which goes step by step. I isolate myself and read quietly."

from Steven S. Means means@belnet.bellevue.k12.wa.us
Math and Technology Teacher at Sammamish High School