Topic: Saxon ad
Replies: 18   Last Post: Feb 27, 1995 8:54 AM

Michael Paul Goldenberg

From: Ann Arbor, MI
Registered: 12/3/04
Re: Saxon ad

On Sat, 25 Feb 1995, Andrei TOOM wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Feb 1995, Michael Paul Goldenberg wrote:

> > Next, Mr. Saxon informs us that if you "read the Standards carefully you
> > will find that the goals are poorly stated and that the methods to be
> > used to reach these nebulous goals are emphasized. We are to concentrate
> > on using technology, reduce the emphasis on paper and pencil skills,
> > especially long division, and concentrate on cooperative learning."

> Yes, the goals of the Standards are poorly stated.
> If you disagree, please, cite.
> Andrei Toom

I'm not going to waste my time playing word games with you, Andrei. We've
danced this dance before. Try re-reading my post. I've already stated why
I don't think the criticism "poorly stated" or "nebulous" holds up. Next,
define what YOU mean by "poorly stated." Finally, the burden is on you to
show examples from the Standards. Like Mr. Saxon, you seem to be
uncomfortable with the Standards, but you don't articulate very clearly
what your objections are. For me to cite examples, let's just say that I
have no major problems with any of the Standards, so I cite the works in
their entirety. If YOU disagree, let's hear where your objections lie.

-michael paul goldenberg/University of Michigan
"Truth is a mobile army of metaphors" F. Nietzsche