Topic: Saxon ad
Replies: 18   Last Post: Feb 27, 1995 8:54 AM

Tim Hendrix

Re: Saxon ad

On Saturday, February 25, 1995, Andrei Tom wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Feb 1995, Michael Paul Goldenberg wrote:
>

>> "Calculators must be accepted at the K-4 level as valuable tools for
>> learning mathematics. Calculators enable children to explore number ideas
>> and patterns, to have valuable concept-development experiences, to focus
>> on problem-solving processes, and to investigate realistic applications.
>> The thoughtful use of calculators can increase the quality of the
>> curriculum as well as the quality of children's learning.

>Which problems ? Are there examples ?
>(I am NOT agains calculators in principle.)
>Andrei Toom

Andrei,

The written document expressing the Standards that NCTM endorses certainly
does include some problems and examples of each standard. At each grade
level, after the statement of each standard, the writers attempt to
"unpack" the idea behind that standard and demonstrate one example of how
that standard can be employed in a classroom at that grade level.

It is absurd to think that the authors are going to give an example of
every single type of problem application of any one standard. That is left
for mathematicians and mathematics educators to do on their own. I agree,
however, that there are topics not covered as thoroughly in the document as
could have been covered. For example, the standard PMG used from K-4 of
calculators and computers. Unfortunately, at the other levels, 5-8, and
9-12, the use of technology as a means of exposing the mathematics is not
addressed very concretely. Yet, the document was 5 years ago, and now we
know of many examples that were not fully developed then.

Tim Hendrix

Tim Hendrix (hendrix@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu) *
Division of Mathematics Education *
Department of Curriculum & Instruction *
University of Illinois *
382 Education Building *
1310 South 6th Street *
Champaign, Il 61820 *