Topic: Saxon ad
Replies: 18   Last Post: Feb 27, 1995 8:54 AM

Andre TOOM

Re: Saxon ad

On Sun, 26 Feb 1995, Tim Hendrix wrote:

> The written document expressing the Standards that NCTM endorses certainly
> does include some problems and examples of each standard.

I suggest that these problems and examples are poorly chosen.
And that this is extremely important. After all, ideas evaporate,
examples condence.

> At each grade
> level, after the statement of each standard, the writers attempt to
> "unpack" the idea behind that standard and demonstrate one example of how
> that standard can be employed in a classroom at that grade level.
>
> It is absurd to think that the authors are going to give an example
> of every single type of problem application of any one standard.

It would be useful.

> That is left for mathematicians and mathematics educators
> to do on their own.

Do you think that an average teacher has time and competence to do it ?

> I agree, however, that there are topics not covered as
> thoroughly in the document as could have been covered.

Could of should ?
Are there topics that are covered adequately ?

> For example, the standard PMG used from K-4 of calculators and computers.

You mean that PMG chose a wrong example. Which is the right one ?

> Unfortunately, at the other levels, 5-8, and 9-12, the use of
> technology as a means of exposing the mathematics is not addressed
> very concretely. Yet, the document was 5 years ago, and now we
> know of many examples that were not fully developed then.

Was there the stone age 5 years ago ?
Do you mean that the document is obsolete ?
Andrei Toom