Topic: Saxon ad
Replies: 18   Last Post: Feb 27, 1995 8:54 AM

Dagfinn Eggen

Re: Saxon ad

At 07:34 PM 25/2/95, Andrei TOOM wrote:
>On Sat, 25 Feb 1995, Michael Paul Goldenberg wrote:
>

>> "Calculators must be accepted at the K-4 level as valuable tools for
>> learning mathematics. Calculators enable children to explore number ideas
>> and patterns, to have valuable concept-development experiences, to focus
>> on problem-solving processes, and to investigate realistic applications.
>> The thoughtful use of calculators can increase the quality of the
>> curriculum as well as the quality of children's learning.

>Which problems ? Are there examples ?
>(I am NOT agains calculators in principle.)
>Andrei Toom

The most important thing about calculators at K-4 level (AM I RIGHT WHEN I
SAY THAT K-4 IS ABOUT 10 YEARS OLD CHILDREN?) is, in my opinion, that it is
a tool for computing (AND NOT PIMARILY FOR PROBLEM SOLVING!!) that means
that ordinary division, multiplication, subtraction and adding becomes much
easier.

I remember myself back in early 70's when I bought a CASIO calculator by
mail order. I sat hours just multiplying and dividing and found that big
numbers was no big obstacle any more. (At that time I have been studying
math at university levels for some time.)

Dagfinn.Eggen@martek.no