Topic: Saxon ad
Replies: 18   Last Post: Feb 27, 1995 8:54 AM

Dagfinn Eggen

Re: Saxon ad

At 09:44 AM 26/2/95, Andrei TOOM wrote:
>On Sun, 26 Feb 1995, Dagfinn Eggen wrote:
>

>> The most important thing about calculators at K-4 level (AM I RIGHT WHEN I
>> SAY THAT K-4 IS ABOUT 10 YEARS OLD CHILDREN?) is, in my opinion, that it is
>> a tool for computing (AND NOT PIMARILY FOR PROBLEM SOLVING!!) that means
>> that ordinary division, multiplication, subtraction and adding becomes much
>> easier.

>So the ultimate goal is to get computing done ?

Good heavens, no!
The goal are not the means!
We have at least wo goals here. The ultimate goal are problem solving.
Another goal is math-understanding.
Calculators are tools just as a hammer is a tool for a carpenter.

>Then, of course, calculators are grrrreat.
>But what for children are in this context ?
>Eliminate them from the picture, hire a few professionals
>or program a super-computer to do all the computing.
>It will be faster and simpler.
>Andrei Toom

Why not eliminate the teachers also.

Dagfinn