Topic: Fractals
Replies: 29   Last Post: May 9, 1995 10:14 AM

Andre TOOM

Re: Fractals

On Thu, 4 May 1995, Tad Watanabe wrote:

> Well, reading other people's response, I'm not sure why you say you
> cannot discuss fractals without logarthms. It sure sounds like
> investigations of fractals can serve the purpose of intellectual
> development of students. I wonder what you meant by "discuss." I wonder
> if you were thinking of "discussion" at much more sophisticated levels.

I think that all this talk about fractals in middle school
serves promotional goals at the expence of best interests
of students. Look: we study fractals! Why not quantum mechanics ?
What students really need is basic culture, which is best
developed by solving word problems.
Andrei