Topic: Fractals
Replies: 29   Last Post: May 9, 1995 10:14 AM

Tad Watanabe

Re: Fractals

Do we always have to "discuss" at the formal level? How do we get
there? Shouldn't we be helping our students _how_ we can discuss these
ideas in more and more formal way as they progress? I don't know how
solving thousands of word problems in themselves will make the students
able to "discuss" fractals at this formal level. It could be that some
people cannot discuss fractals without logarithms because they do not
know how to communicate at different levels (just like some teachers
cannot discuss math topics at children's level)? I tend to think the
ability to talk simply about the complex ideas is a gift.

Tad Watanabe
Towson State University
Towson, Maryland