Topic: Fractals
Replies: 29   Last Post: May 9, 1995 10:14 AM

Andre TOOM

Re: Fractals

Thank you, Han, for this very interesting message.
I must apoligize: I wrote something which seemed to
mean that I am against speaking about fractals in
middle school. Of course, not. Let me make a comparison.
Suppose somebody asks: Does it make sense to put
on bosoms of cheerleaders' T-shirts a sign: `E=MC^2'.
Why not ? After all, it is not obscene.
But, PLEASE, do not call it physics.
This is the point. You may discuss quantum mechanics
with small children and it may make some sense.
But it is NOT a study of quantum mechanics.
You may (perhaps, should) some time show middle school
students fractal pictures and in may have a positive
effect on their development. (Everything what intelligent
adults do WITH children has a positive effect on their development,
including, for example, practical joking.)
But, PLEASE, do not call it mathematics.
And do not do it INSTEAD of a regular course.
Andrei Toom