Topic: Fractals
Replies: 29   Last Post: May 9, 1995 10:14 AM

Tad Watanabe

Re: Fractals

I guess we have reached the point of fundamental disagreement. I do not
make such a generalization that disucssion of "advanced" topic is a
disguise for teacher's inability to teach.... I don't know how you can
get to such a conclusion after reading so many of very thoughtful

I have no disagreement that problem solving is important, and there are
many interesting and worthwhile problems within arithmetic. And, I have
no objection to including those interesting problems in place of many
meaningless skills [when I say "meaningless," this is in reference to a
particular child at a particular juncture of his/her mathematical
learning - not a general condemnation of those skills].

I wonder what the real problems of your college students are. You seem
to think it is the kind of teaching that include discussion of fractals
and other interesting "advanced" mathematics ideas because teachers
cannot teach the basic arithmetic. Is it really the case? Have you
asked, systematically, your students what their k-12 mathematics
teaching/learning was like?

Tad Watanabe
Towson State University
Towson, Maryland