Topic: What are the "basic" facts?
Replies: 20   Last Post: Jul 6, 1995 8:34 PM

Arthur Howard

Re: What are the "basic" facts?

I agree.

A teacher educator friend of mine put it this way:

As an example, 7 x 0 = 0, and 7 x 1 = 7 ... that is, in the first case,
the product is equal to the smaller of the two factors. In the second,
the product is equal to the larger of the two. Therefore, if we
multiply 7 x any proper fraction F, since 0 < F < 1, we should not be
surprised that the product P would fall between 0 and 7!

Investigations by students along these lines allows students to recognize
multiplication by fractions as part of the general concept of
multiplication, not as special cases of it.

Arthur Howard