Topic: Re: lecturing
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 29, 1995 6:21 PM

Kevin J.Maguire

Re: lecturing

I've just read your posting. I certainly wish that I was as
competent a teacher as you are. It would do my ego a lot of good to
think that I was able to impart knowledge through the spoken word. I
remember reading the manual about handling a saw when I wanted to make
something out of timber. The manual didn't really help me - I cut my
hand badly. It was only when my dad came by and helped me that I
understood what the manual was talking about.
Obviously the above never took place. I used it to illustrate my
firm belief that I am not the font of all knowledge and that my students
don't learn from my lecturing but from my help whilst they are "doing".

Kevin J. Maguire
School of Education Telephone: 61 3 9479 2080
La Trobe University

On Thu, 29 Jun 1995 Lutemann@aol.com wrote:

> I'm totally in favor of various forms of group work and innovative teaching
> methods. However, my feeling is, that if you are not lecturing at least 50%
> of the time, the students aren't going to learn much.
> Any comments?
> Kent

Date Subject Author
Read Re: lecturing