Topic: Re: lecturing
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 29, 1995 6:21 PM

Kevin J.Maguire

Re: lecturing

Ben,
I've just read your posting. I certainly wish that I was as
competent a teacher as you are. It would do my ego a lot of good to
think that I was able to impart knowledge through the spoken word. I
remember reading the manual about handling a saw when I wanted to make
something out of timber. The manual didn't really help me - I cut my
hand badly. It was only when my dad came by and helped me that I
understood what the manual was talking about.
Obviously the above never took place. I used it to illustrate my
firm belief that I am not the font of all knowledge and that my students
don't learn from my lecturing but from my help whilst they are "doing".
Regards,
K.

Kevin J. Maguire
School of Education Telephone: 61 3 9479 2080
La Trobe University
Melbourne
Victoria

On Thu, 29 Jun 1995 Lutemann@aol.com wrote:

> I'm totally in favor of various forms of group work and innovative teaching
> methods. However, my feeling is, that if you are not lecturing at least 50%
> of the time, the students aren't going to learn much.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Kent

Date Subject Author
6/29/95